WRDA Archive

Tim Davies


Tim Davies, a founder member of the WRDA and winner of the first British Championship in modern times in 1983, returned to the track in 2013 with a Lotus Cortina and won the 2013 HSCC ‘By Box’ Historic Touring Car Championship. Tim first started racing in 1977 in local Autograss events, and won the Western Mail Competition to try & find a new driver to replace the sad loss of Wales last Grand Prix racer Tom Pryce. (Text from Tims’ CV  + inside page )

 Racing Career from 1977 to 1982  & 1983 to 1984 Formula 1985 to 1987 


1977 I built a competitive Autograss myself with a special chassis using a Ford V6 3OOOcc engine which resulted in many wins. During the same year I won the Western Mail Driving Competition held at Brands Hatch Racing School. This entitled me to free training at the school, and I was fortunate to be awarded the Brands Hatch Racing School Driver of the Year award, which included 10 wins out of 10 races in Shellsport Ford Escorts.  Part of my prize as Driver of the Year was 20 laps at Brands Hatch in Davina Galica' Formula 1 Surtees.

1978 Competed in the Dunlop Star of Tomorrow and Kent Messenger Formula Ford 1500 c.c Championships (with some sponsorship from Crickhowell Caravans). Whilst leading the Dunlop Championship at mid-season, I ran out of money and struggled for the rest of the season - but still finished 4th in both championship, gaining 3 outright wins and 5 fastest race times.


1979 (Press Cutting) Largely an uncompetitive season, due entirely to lack of finance, racing an old Crossle in Formula Ford 2000. Nevertheless I gained a great deal of recognition which no doubt brought sponsorship from Brian Holmes' firm Autowindscreens of Chesterfield for 1980. (Holmes would be big supporter of Tim over the next few years)


1980 A very successful year in Formula Ford 2000. The season commenced with Autowindscreens supplying a new Reynard SF80. The car proved to be uncompetitive however, but I am the only driver to have won a race with an SF80. Autowindscreens then supplied a new Royale FP27. This resulted in 3 wins, 2 seconds, 4 thirds, 1 lap record and 5 fastest race times. I completed the season, despite a severe financial strain due to running expenses, and finished a mere 5 points from winning the Motorcraft Formula Ford 2000 championship! I was awarded a cup by Motorcraft, and a trophy by BRSCC Marshals Club for being the Most Entertaining Driver of the Year at Brands Hatch. Autowindscreens again supplied a March 801B for the televised Formula 3 meeting at Thruxton in November. Without any pre-race testing at Thruxton, I qualified 5th on the grid after the first qualifying session, and could have improved on this but for a broken gear cog early in the second session. Whilst holding 4th position in the actual race, I was unfortunately hit from the rear and was forced to retire!

1981 (Press Cutting)Despite strenuous effort during the winter to enter Formula 3, it proved impossible again due to the lack of finance. In June, after half the season had passed (entirely to lack of finance.), I was most fortunate in securing a drive in Penistone Hardmetals new Royale RP3O Formula Ford 2000, following an approach by Royale. Despite not joining the championship until the 12th meeting of the year, success for the team followed immediately with Penistones’ professional preparation, with 5 wins, 3 other podium places, 3 new lap records, & 3 pole positions.  Despite having only competed in 10 out of 24 races, I nevertheless finished 4th in the Pace FF2000 championship. Results in the Pace Petroleum FF2000 Championship The season ended on a high note when I was awarded the second Grovewood Award of £2,500 - one of three awards made to promising young racing drivers



1982 The new Royale RP32M unfortunately proved to be uncompetitive from the start. I was the only driver to win a race in an RP33M, but this was really due to the wet track conditions at Mallory Park. (Press Cuttings

However, with some five races remaining in the championship, Penistone Hardmetals, fortunately offered me a drive in a new Van Diemen RF82.

The results come immediately with a 5th place and then three consecutive 2nd places, a win in the final FF2000 round at Mallory Park, and a win for the second time at the Thruxton T.V Meeting, leading from the start to finish after qualifying third on the grid. I also set a new lap record at Snetterton.

In July I competed in the Formula 3 supporting race to the British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch and finished a creditable 9th out of 26 starters after very limited pre-race testing and practice!

1983 to 1987 (Text from Tims’ CV + )